Our new topic ladies and gentlemen is named "Trick or Treaty."
It is to do with the Treaty of Waitangi and how it has influenced New Zealand's society.
Today we sat a pre-test to find out just how much we do not know - thank goodness I still have a job as your teacher!
We also began watching a series of videos about the Treaty of Waitangi. We will continue to watch these tomorrow. I am showing you the whole story because I want you to have an understanding of the whole picture of New Zealand's history. I think that this will make it easier to understand the topic as we go through.
As we watched the videos, we were writing down answers to these questions...
1. What is a treaty?
2. When was the Treaty of Waitangi signed?
3. What was the main aim of the Treaty of Waitangi?
4. Why did some Māori chiefs not sign the Treaty of Waitangi?
5. What caused the New Zealand land wars?
6. Why is there debate over the Treaty of Waitangi today?
A helpful web site to look at is: